Short update: didn't get to the breeding menu just yet as I ended up needing to spend more time on aspects of monster creation; they're a deal more complex now with the changes but should be much more expandable. My previous system for dealing with various monster types relied on having them defined in XML and then just altered fields in a base monster class based on that. This time around I'm exploiting polymorphism more by having each monster type be a subclass of the base monster class, which should have the added benefit of allowing there to be more interesting and complicated differences between monster types as I can make more radical changes to them.
I realized I'll also have to nail down the preferences and status effects before moving onto breeding, and the appearance classes that will control the animations. This means I'll probably be pushing the UI stuff to right before I finish the update rather than tackling it now, but that shouldn't make the update take any longer to put together. Tomorrow I should hopefully at least get the animation system started, if not finished, and be able to start focusing on the requests and events.